Discuss Plumber did not commission boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Not sure what my options are here.

Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc.

The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as the house had no electricity. The gas pipes and heating pipes downstairs and upstairs were first fixed. Come January, when we were looking to start on the bathroom, the guy goes awol. Barely responds to texts, won't answer the phone, says he's going to come round the day our bathroom stuff is being delivered but just doesn't turn up. So we gave up and had to find a new plumber.

New plumber comes along and finishes the kitchen, fits the bathroom, installs the radiators. All fine.

However, he highlights that the old plumber has not commissioned the boiler, and that the flue isn't sealed (has a collar just not sealed in), pressure release valve isn't fitted, and there's no condensate pipe. Also when new plumber went to connect the gas hob, gas was leaking from somewhere and we couldn't see where.

I get in contact with the old plumber and tell him that he needs to look at the work he's done as there's a gas leak, and also finish and commission the boiler. He said he doesn't see how there can be a gas leak since he didn't connect the new gas pipes, and the old ones are still connected. Guess where the leak is then... The old pipes...

He also says "Can't the new plumber commission it?" - to which I explain they're not particularly keen to do so.

He picks up the key from my friend and goes round when I'm at work. Texts me to say it's all done and it'll cost me £140, to which I tell him I've already paid him and he told me first fix was complete, I'm not paying him twice. He stops replying.

So now I'm in a position where my original plumber isn't going to finish his work, and my new plumber is reluctant to commission it and finish off his work.

I can understand his reluctance, however he has commented to say that the boiler has been installed well (with exception of the parts not done...) and he's turned it on to test it and it all works fine. Obviously happy to pay him to do whatever he needs to do to be comfortable signing it off, but what is my best course of action here?

EDIT: Sorry meant to confirm, the first plumber IS Gas Safe - I have looked him up to confirm.

Last edited:
Sounds like the first guy isn’t gas safe

Sorry, meant to clarify that in the main post. He is gas safe, I've looked him up to make sure.

Contact them and they will force him to also you want gas safe to come out and inspect the job make sure the second plumber doesn’t correct anything

Contact them and they will force him to also you want gas safe to come out and inspect the job make sure the second plumber doesn’t correct anything
I'm going to contact him again and give him one final chance to resolve the issue.

He was always very vague with payments which I naively trusted as I was new to dealing with trades and I trusted him being my friend's father in law. He quoted us £4900 for new boiler and 8 new radiators including all new gas and heating pipes. But he'd just do odd work every now and again, then say it was £225 or whatever for the work he'd done, rather than paying an invoice at the end. If I'd known better I'd have challenged him.

So I'm fully expecting him to try and charge me to finish the install and given the situation before I fully expect him to say he'll only come round if we pay him however much he wants to charge.

I'd rather avoid reporting him to gas safe as I don't want to put my friend in an awkward position but he might not leave me any choice - but what would you do in that situation? Tell him to do one and then report him?

I wouldn’t gas safe will contact him as there the body

And better than blowing someone else up if he’s doing bad work if you don’t tbh your as bad as him

If this is a case of poor workmanship by a gas safe registered engineer that lead to a gas safety issue, then yes, report it.
However, I personally don't think gas safe being involved will solve anything.
They will arrange (I expect) to meet him and you onsite to inspect and test his work but he will need to be there and probably be asked to do the testing under their observation. So long as the work he admits to doing is safe and meets current standards, there is no further involvement from them. They will not get involved with the financial side or any dispute over who should finish what.

If this is a case of poor workmanship by a gas safe registered engineer that lead to a gas safety issue, then yes, report it.
However, I personally don't think gas safe being involved will solve anything.
They will arrange (I expect) to meet him and you onsite to inspect and test his work but he will need to be there and probably be asked to do the testing under their observation. So long as the work he admits to doing is safe and meets current standards, there is no further involvement from them. They will not get involved with the financial side or any dispute over who should finish what.
If he’s fitted a boiler and not installed a pressure release valve, condensate pipe, and left the flue unsealed, nor completed any of the required checks to commission the boiler, surely that would not be meeting current standards?

If he’s fitted a boiler and not installed a pressure release valve, condensate pipe, and left the flue unsealed, nor completed any of the required checks to commission the boiler, surely that would not be meeting current standards?
That depends on your view point. If he didn't commission it, he hadn't finished?

I'm not siding with him here. I'm just making you think.

If he left it none-commissioned and unfinished but working that's different.

Was it left so that you could just turn it on and use it?

Reply to Plumber did not commission boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock