Discuss Repairing a dripping tap - what’s next? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Spinball

Subscribed
Hello folks, I’m trying to fix this slow leaking tap myself and I’m stuck here.
IMG_9392.jpeg

How do I dismantle it further to replace whatever needs replacing to fix the drip?
(The chrome ring round the top will not unscrew by hand.)
Many thanks

The internal brass ring unscrews and you need a 35mm cartridge

First you need to remove the chrome shroud- it either pulls off, or unscrews.
The follow what Shaun said.
Ok, I'm worried about marking it. I'll try putting a flannel round it before using a variable gripping thing.
The internal brass ring unscrews and you need a 35mm cartridge
Cartridge. Like for 80's video games? I'll hopefully get it apart and then take the innards to a plumbers merchants and ask for a new Donky Kong cartridge. :)
Thanks.

First you need to remove the chrome shroud- it either pulls off, or unscrews.
The follow what Shaun said.

You sure ? seems weird they internally threaded it if it’s meant to be removed first

You sure ? seems weird they internally threaded it if it’s meant to be removed first
No, not sure!

A Bird’s eye view photo would help, to see how you might unscrew the brass nut without removing the dhroud.

Does the brass nut have slots or holes in the upper surface?

Well it’s not very clear, but I think that chrome shroud needs to come off - and the fact that it’s threaded on the inside (good spot Shaun) makes me think it will unscrew rather than pull off.
Try wearing rubber gloves for grip, try penetrating fluid, try hot water poured over the shroud, try a rubber strap wrench…

Well it’s not very clear, but I think that chrome shroud needs to come off - and the fact that it’s threaded on the inside (good spot Shaun) makes me think it will unscrew rather than pull off.
Try wearing rubber gloves for grip, try penetrating fluid, try hot water poured over the shroud, try a rubber strap wrench…
30 minutes trip and £11 at Toolstation and the ring came off. Now what?
(I don’t have an adjustable spanner big enough to grip the flat spots on the threaded bit showing here).
IMG_9399.jpeg

Reply to Repairing a dripping tap - what’s next? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a complete novice but am trying to repair a dripping tap using online instructons on replacing the valve. My kitchen mixer tap is...
Replies
Views
Hello All, One of my mixer taps is dripping. Quick research tells me to replace the washer. So I prise off the top of the tap, remove a screw...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello there, as a trainee plumber I have a couple of questions running through my head. Being a plumber if i was to go to fix a customers...
Replies
Views
Hi there! our Heritage bath taps (see attached image) have a leak from the shower lever when diverted to the shower head. Unfortunately this...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock