Discuss MAPP gas vs propane gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu3y

just wondering whats the better gas to use and why?

ive been buying tools over the last few weeks, i bought a superfire 2 blowtorch and propane gas, in the merchants they asked if i wanted mapp or propane.. i know mapp burns hotter.. is that needed for the likes of 15mm and 22mm copper though?

Ive always used propane on all my installations, never had a problem on 28mm

Superfine 2 is a very powerful torch with propane and I think a bit too powerful fir 15mm & 22mm & needs you to back off the heat. Easily does 28mm tees & copes with damp pipes. I wouldn't want any hotter than propane & frankly I used Butane for years with the old style hand lamps & a hose to the bottle & it was usually more than enough for 15 & 22mm.

I only use Mapp, it is quicker thus saving money on time and gas, it is fine to use on microbore.

Take the Rottenburger torch back and get the Bernzomatic and you save £20, which is two gas bottles.

This old chestnut, again. MAPP for me, but would recommend propane for a learner. Have a look on the search function.

Mapp isnt mapp anymore as far as I can tell.
For past year or so yellow tins seem to be mapp/propane mix which burns at a temp somewhere between the two and more akin to propane than mapp....

if ts mapp, its quick heat so you have to be quick (skilled) not to not burn the fitting

if its propane, you have to be patient but not set fire to the building

Mapp isnt mapp anymore as far as I can tell.

It was just a trademark name anyway, Map Plus and Map Pro are what it's called now, slightly modified, still 25% hotter than propane, at least twice as fast to solder with

Last edited by a moderator:
47 kg bottle for the men and 19kg bottle for the boys ?
£19.00 for a 19kg bottle it will last years and keep you fit !

It was just a trademark name anyway, Map Plus and Map Pro are what it's called now, slightly modified, still 25% hotter than propane, at least twice as fast to solder with

Methylacetylenepropaniene

i use mapp but turn the burner down. it's still faster than propane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MAPP gas vs propane gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock