Discuss Recent house purchase - CH/HW Major issues. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Sounds normal to me

It’s because of the digital / variable motor

Stuart turner 15-60 is a quiet ish model

What is the power in watts W when running in C2 & C3.?

You would have to put your ear to mine even at full speed C3 & 40W to hear anything.

What is the power in watts W when running in C2 & C3.?

You would have to put your ear to mine even at full speed C3 & 40W to hear anything.
I will check C2, C3 said 33W when I last tried it.

I wonder what the difference is with the 5M and 6M models, I did check the spec sheet but no where do they give impeller size or dB noise levels.

I saw C2 at 17W which is OK, mine runs at 22/23W on C2 and 33W on C3 sounds about right for a 5M head.
There should be no difference in noise levels for either which should be practically zero judging by mine.

Why is it only showing 0.7W on C2 at the start of your video??

Presume the pump is pumping out of the boiler, ie from the flow (hot) side.

1673134321202.png

Last edited:
I saw C2 at 17W which is OK, mine runs at 22/23W on C2 and 33W on C3 sounds about right for a 5M head.
There should be no difference in noise levels for either which should be practically zero judging by mine.

Why is it only showing 0.7W on C2 at the start of your video??
It's showing 0.7 M3/H, 17W.

Flow from the boiler goes in to the top of the pump and out of the pump in to the 3 way valve.

Thats good, mine doesn't display that.
So, IMO that noise from a Wilo circ pump is certainly not normal, I have installed another one for a relation and its practically silent, like mine.

Probably won't make any difference but when you press one of the buttons the pump does a automatic venting for ~ 10 minutes where it slows/speeds the pump up and down apparently, I didn't use it on installing mine.

1673135952625.png

Today's Update

The issue is definitely not related to the vent/feed pipe or pump, I can run it indefinitely with the boiler off or below 58-60c without issue.

However if I turn the boiler up so it's heating the water above 58c, as soon as the radiator circuit warms up it starts getting noisier, the higher the temp the noisier it becomes.

I'm not sure where to go next with this, whether I need chemicals to treat the system, hire a power flush machine or something else.

I'm going to change the pump for a Grundfos UPS3 as it looks to be built around a more traditional type motor, rather than the tiny BLDC motor on this Wilo.

Uncannily like this, with a UPS2 pump.

Uncannily like this, with a UPS2 pump.
Thank you for finding that thread, I've been searching for it on here since you mentioned someone had a similar issue.
What a shame they didn't come back on here and let everyone know what the problem was.

I've made a video to show the noise from the system, it's throughout the whole house, every radiator, all pipework and at the boiler.
This only happens when the system gets up to temperature. From a cold start it is silent up until the water gets hot, then if I turn the boiler off as the system cools down it goes silent again.

I'm not really getting any air in the radiators and I've been checking the F&E tank, I'm getting no pump over at any pump speed and no change of level in the F&E tank.

Also I returned the Wilo pump and fitted a Grundfos UPS3 today. It is MUCH quieter.

I'm currently trying to find the best speed to run it at, I've had it on PP1 but the livingroom 2 metre wide double radiator doesn't get hot and the same with the tall vertical radiator in the kitchen. I'll try it on PP2 for a bit.

Video:

That’s air in the pipework moving

Reply to Recent house purchase - CH/HW Major issues. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock