Discuss Installing pipework to avoid airlocks in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
How it best to install pipework to best avoid airlocks with gravity hot water. Install level or slightly down hill in direction of flow? Thanks

As long as you have a decent head on pipework you're working on and that there isn't a massive high spot you'll always clear the air. Typically pipes go in notched into the joists at the same depth regardless of what the spirit level says.

The only time I've ever struggled with air locking hot water was during a loft conversions where we moved the cistern onto the deck and had temporary pipes running along the floor keeping the house going. A long run roughly horizontal to the drops in the airing cupboard but it trapped air all along that run. We chucked the cistern up on a 2inch platform and it was sufficient to clear it. Good fun removing 100L+ of water from a cistern which is air locked though.

Reply to Installing pipework to avoid airlocks in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock