Discuss Copper water cylinder needs replacing?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our indirect copper water cyclinder has started leaking. Not a flood but enough to wet the whole floor in the airing cupboard. Could not find any obvious leaks from pipe joints, shower pump etc. so called in a plumber. He cut away insulation layer at bottom and found heavy corrosion. He has recomended a replacement. I was surprised because I did not know copper cylinders corroded seriously - he said it would be caused by accumulated limescale deposits - we are in a hard water area and the tank is over 20 hyears old, maybe 30 (already here when we moved in).

I would like to be sure that this really is the tank gone, as opposed to the pipe joint at the bottom. Can anyone offer their views please? These pics are odd angles - the pipe is entering the tank bottom right.

Thanks

tank 1.JPG
tank 2.JPG

Yea quite common, you've done well if it's over 20 years probably 1/8th full of rubbish since your in a hard water area

I changed mine which was probably the same age. 1 the old weighed a lot more than the new one due to the scale in the bottom and 2 it now warms up quicker so in theory saves money.

20 + years you have done well get it changed it will pay for its self in reduced energy costs over the next few years .kop

Copper cylinders still avalible bud if thats what you want changed two recently. kop

Various reports out there analysing steel vs copper. This one is very clearly in favour of copper: Copper v Stainless Steel Hot Water Cylinders. Key extracts:

The University of Ulster has recently published a report which compares the performance of a stainless steel hot water cylinder with a copper cylinder manufactured to the exact same specifications.

The results of the report found that using a copper hot water cylinder on an exact like for like specification reduced the heat up time of the water by 28.8% over stainless steel.

The University of Ulster then went on to compare a standard copper cylinder with a standard stainless steel cylinder, and found the copper cylinder showed a 62.6% increase in the power output.

The report goes a long way to demonstrating the long term cost benefits of using copper hot water cylinders in your project, without even mentioning the copper’s superior bacteria killing properties, flexibility, long lifespan and recyclability.

Yes Paul , I have read these reports and do agree with them ( mostly )
However , in a hard water area the stainless come out on top ( in my opinion ) .
Your HW cost of your gas bill is very small in relation to your heating.

The quality is not in the cylinders like it was in the older ones so newer cylinders are been replaced more frequently

The quality is not in the cylinders like it was in the older ones so newer cylinders are been replaced more frequently

Yes agree but why do you think that is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper water cylinder needs replacing?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back