Discuss ADVICE -Best pipe cutter for 40mm plastic?Hi Guys in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a 40mm PVC/Plastic pipe cutter, i have a ceapy chinese ratchet type one but the ratchet system is broke, plus a 40mm pipe barely fits into it.

I will be doing a lot of floplast or polypipe solvent 40mm cuts (not sure which atm, whoever is cheapest and does black fittings/40mm tank connectors etc).

Are these OX ones any good, you can get spare blades etc.

Also which is better Floplast or Polypipe? Plus will they actually fit as i think Floplast is 43mm?

Cutter -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OX-Tools-Pro-POLYZIP-FAST-CUT-Plastic-Pipe-Cutters-15mm-22mm-35mm-42mm/113743748811?epid=13032639686&hash=item1a7ba7decb:g:s~8AAOSwDPdc1XfG

Thanks

Roth plastic pipe slices for me haven’t changed the blades yet

also when you first turn them around the pipe first don’t grip / squeeze the pipe slice too much else it will be stiff to turn

Ive currently got ridgid ones that cut up to 65mm I think nice things but pricey.
Couple of my subbies have rothenberger ones work ok seem a bit prone to sticking. One of others has some of the monument ones had then a few months not had any probs.

Yeah it’s just the small one looks like the blade set across at a slight angle, hence spirals off. Can stop it if I remember which way to fight against it!
Probably fixable with a couple of shims but never got round to it....

I got one for £20 couple of weeks ago from stoolstation. Works pretty well to be fair.
One cutter does both 1 1/4 and 1 1/2.
Rothenberger Plasticut Pro 35-42mm - https://www.toolstation.com/rothenberger-plasticut-pro/p81400
I've changed my mind about it. It's a useless piece of plastic, needed to do about 12 cuts with it on Tuesday and didn't get a single one anywhere near square, lots of spiralling no matter what I did. It's going back for a refund tomorrow.

Roth plastic pipe slices

I bought a ratchet type on around 15 years ago & it was Great so i bought another as back up. I lost one after a few years & then lost the second one. I couldn't find another so bought a replacement from toolstation it didn't last 2 minutes before breaking so bought another one. That has lasted longer but is crap! I seen this thread & looked on here hoping to find a really good one that a few people would recommend.
Don't know if its any help, but the good ones I had, had more of a v shaped blade that cut straight through brilliantly but the crap ones just have a normal flat blade which of course make them a lot harder to cut through.
I'm no expert though. And I'm a joiner. I only started plumbing 15 years ago when a kitchen & bathroom company I was working for threw me in the deep end onto bathrooms when they were stuck for bathroom fitters, but hope the info is a bit of help??
Darren

I have never had an issue with these as I said.

Attachments

• 5AC3ED41-88B2-4F94-BCF3-B2CEA0670F4E.jpeg
    5AC3ED41-88B2-4F94-BCF3-B2CEA0670F4E.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 20
As above never an issue. Got to grip it quite tight to keep it true. It doesn't have the "springyness" of a copper slice. Don't know what the others are doing wrong...:)

The slices are designed for imperial/ push fit but do work on solvent with some success. A rothy 50mm ratchet is ok.

I've tried most things and a junior still gets used more times than not.

As for silvent pipe polypipe Is better than floplast in abs. I use hunter pvc for external as I can get it locally. Osma pvc is ok too but not stocked by many.

The slices are designed for imperial/ push fit but do work on solvent with some success. A rothy 50mm ratchet is ok.

I've tried most things and a junior still gets used more times than not.

As for silvent pipe polypipe Is better than floplast in abs. I use hunter pvc for external as I can get it locally. Osma pvc is ok too but not stocked by many.
That got me thinking, I tried the rothy slice on pushfit pipe and it seemed OK, not 100% but got an almost square cut most of the time. I was cutting solvent pipe when it kept spiralling, solvent is my preferred pipe jointing method so if they don't work on solvent then I'm glad I got a refund.

Reply to ADVICE -Best pipe cutter for 40mm plastic?Hi Guys in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock