Currently reading:
which chemicals and test kits?

Discuss which chemicals and test kits? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

Who uses one? I'm thinking of using the Fernox water test kit during an annual service, how many tests does the kit last for? I've been doing a lot of research and it appears there is no universal test for checking inhibitor levels as different manufacturer's chemicals vary greatly. The other alternative is just to test TDS and PH and top up inhibitor or flush according to the severity of the results.

I use different brands of chemicals for cheaper jobs but Fernox when I can and I am willing to stick to Fernox which I can test annually and offer a greater service to my customers.

If anyone has any reasons why they believe Sentinel or another brand of inhibitor is superior then it would be great to hear your opinions. I hav Fernox is expensive but I do have most confidence with their research and depelopment. I believe the cheaper brands that they may produce chemicals for, such as Center Brand are slightly inferior, I have even read the COSHH sheets but after looking too far into it I can't see a conclusive answer to which chemicals are superior so I just have to go with which I am most confident in.

I think as long as the inhibitor uses the same active ingredient, they can be tested with the same kit. We use Kamco inhibitor, the active ingredient is Molybdate.
Can inhibitors be mixed? If so can't you add fernox to the system you are servicing if the customer knows it hasn't been added for a while (or ever judging by some of the systems I see)?

any inhibitor thats build cert approved meets the min requirements really. I do think you get a better product with the top brands. My old company used a cheap merchant cleaner and inhibitor on a big job once and it caused problems with the boilers. Im not 100percent sure what the issue was but we went to fernox once the problem was found by the appliance manufacturer and had no problems after that.

The thing is the main active ingredient isn't even the same so there can be no universal test for levels of inhibitor, only for water quality and signs of corrosion/oxidation. The main active ingredient in Fernox and Center Brand is Triethenalamine or something, 15-20% in Fernox, around 10% in CB. Can't remember which Sentinel uses but it is different, perhaps molybdate but I heard of Boric acid and Sodium nitrate in there too.

Yes always check that the chemicals are build cert approved, I realised a local one I had been using for quick/part drain downs was not and I won't use it any more. Center Brand certainly is, it appears to be a diluted version of F1 so perhaps sticking to these 2 would be ok for the Fernox test kit. I use CB for cheaper jobs.

I have decided to try some fernox inhibitor test strips and ph tester on annual service. Dont know if it is worth buying the full kit for annual servicing as they cost over 100 quid and fernox reckon they only do 25 tests? Someone said they can last 100 jobs though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to which chemicals and test kits? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back