Discuss Where has common sense gone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
Apparently now if there's a Baxi flue (we have loads on contract) that is of the new type which requires the self taper screw through the flue elbow and the screw hasn't been fitted, that means it's at risk, regardless of other factors. So the one I went to yesterday, the horizontal flue went straight out the wall behind the boiler and was cemented in, but had been at risked. Surely that screw is now redundant because the flue is cemented in?

Total overkill imo.

Last edited:
Our auditors have advised it's at risk. So the previous engineer left a mother and 2 children without for 3 days until I went and put a screw in the flue. Apparently one screw is ncs. I would say that providing the flue is otherwise ok that it's only ncs.

Reading the manufacturer instructions for the Duo Tec GA, the section regarding the self tapper in the elbow is not particularly strong with it's wording. It doesn't say you must, it simply says, screw the elbow to the flue section using the screw provided.

when i was on social housing price work we got a pound to screw the flues when on a service/llcert
personally i think its a load of carp when the flue is cemented in the only way the flue can come apart is if the boiler falls of the wall and i cant see a 3/8 self tapper doing much

During a brief stint doing HA I was told the same, and also worcester flues depending on the mi's early mi's don't state screws so there ok but new ones do state the flue needs to be screwed.

it is all because the lack of screws in flue was cited as a contributing factor in a recent co death of someone although from what i read it was flue extensions involved

We installed about 150 baxi GA's and got flagged on a couple where we only had 1 screw in securing the flue off the turret .

Basically 1 had been dropped (lost)on installation hence only having 1 self tapper , but nope 1 wasn't good enough so they were flagged as AT RISK .

Crazy

Apparently not you can ask the householder but if they say no you just record that on the form, job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where has common sense gone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock