Currently reading:
Unable to switch off external stop valve

Discuss Unable to switch off external stop valve in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Ben Webster

I need to switch off my water at the external stop valve to do a permanent fix on a pipe between that valve and my internal stop valve. There is no tap to turn on the external valve, just a round nozzle with no obvious way of twisting it. Thames Water is not responding. Any advice on how I switch it off? Thanks

Your water supplier owns the external stop tap its there responsibility to maintain it.
Get back onto Thames water tell them you suspect a leak (water wastage) certainly
In the areas where I work that normally moves the supplier on.

As above it's for Thames to sort their stop tap if it is faulty.
Can you post a pic taken looking down at the stop tap in the street , it may just be a type you don't recognise as a stop tap.

Often there is no tap to turn, it is a square drive - sometimes with a round shroud surrounding it. This requires a stopcock key - often has interchangeable ends to allow for various sizes and shapes (sometimes it’s hexagonal)

Reply to Unable to switch off external stop valve in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Back