Discuss Toilet overflow pipe problem! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lloydhunt

I own a ground floor flat in a mixed small block of private and council owned. The council flat above mine has an overflow pipe from the toilet cistern which does not extend out from the wall at all. Water has leaked twice from the pipe for extended periods in the last two years. This has caused considerable damp to my back wall before it was noticed and fixed. My question is are there any regulations which require the overflow pipe to project out from the wall?

its suppose to be 150mm from ground level , otherwise I cant see any regs regarding it sticking out, think you might have a bit of a prolem on your hands if its not in your property!!! Have you talked to the tennant / landlord of the flat above about the problem?

its suppose to be 150mm from ground level , otherwise I cant see any regs regarding it sticking out, think you might have a bit of a prolem on your hands if its not in your property!!! Have you talked to the tennant / landlord of the flat above about the problem?
A D2 prv/tprv termination has to be a max of 100mm fm ground level, toilet overflow doesnt really apply or your loo seat would be to low to use if you thik about it!!!!!!!!, re clearance from wall, common sense says it needs to clear the wall to prevent damage to the building structure as this is doing over time, all it needs is a length of overflow being connected correctly, parts £1 and some time, not a massive job

The water regs require an overflow/ warning pipe to be in a visible place and also connected in a workmanship manner so your neighbours overflow obviously contravenes the water regs.
Whether or not you can get anyone to act on that is another matter. Report it to your local water authority. They may or may not act upon it.
Years ago we used to have water officers roaming around the district serving notices but they have long since disappeared in the name of progress and cost cutting. Such is the world we live in where the rules are there but no one (not even the authorities) give a damn.
This country no longer walks the walk i'm afraid.
Personally i would kick his head in after a few times of asking politely (no witnesses) every time i saw him until it was fixed but that is just me and tribal justice.

a toilet overflow should stick out about the length of your junior hacksaw.

serious tho, its causing damage to your property. If they wont sort it for you id get if fixed yourself and send them the bill. you may not get paid but you wont have any more damage.

id probably follow tamz suggestion, put your toetecker's on a boot some toshie if needed.

if it was me and they were not sorting the overflow, i would get the ladders out and get a straight and a bit of pipe and bang it in. job done

Hopefully the internal overflow works too!

Maybe don't block it off.

Push wasps up it instead, that's far more entertaining when he lifts the lid to see what the buzzing is!

Well thanks to all for the replies, its pretty clear now what to do. As my neighbour's a very sweet elderly man of 91 years and deaf as a post I'll probably leave the stern talking too and just get up a ladder with my junior hacksaw to sort myself. This has saved me a lot of pointless time talking to the useless council, really appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet overflow pipe problem! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock