Discuss Pricing + acceptable rates and mark up in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Nothing wrong with your prices, cheaper than me.

I only work for a select few friends and they’ve never questioned the cost. The work is top quality and the cost is the cost.

I’ve told them, if you’re not happy with the quality, I’ll fix it (Has never come in to question).

If you’re not prepared to pay the cost, I won’t work for you as I’ll earn the money somewhere else and not have to risk losing them as a friend.

It all depends on the relationship. I did a whole house refurb (mains/all supplies/rads/underfloor/3 bathrooms), friend didn’t even want a quote, told me to do it and tell him how much I wanted when completed. Saying that, he works in construction so understand the cost of works.

A few years ago, I estimated a job for a friend at 2 days plus cost of materials. And did she want a quote?

She said it's fine as long as it doesn't come to more than £500 as that was what she could afford.

As I finished and she handed me a plate of food for the second day running, she asked what she owned me. I said I was about to work it out and to give me a minute (think the total would have been around £400). She said she'd seen me working hard and later than expected and thanked me for working around her clutter. She handed me a brown envelope and said to keep the contents but let her know if it came to any more...

... inside was £500. "Mates rates" works both ways!

unless the people (friends) know what self employment means then they don't have a clue what your actual working/running costs are. And to be fair when i was employed I didn't understand either. However when i did start a self employed business (not plumbing but PC servicing/repair) as a naive young man i suddenly had all of these costs!!!

To make it worse I was quoting as if I was the client.. Totally wrong thinking till someone older told me I was quoting as an amateur. I was not making much money to live on at all. Your tools never last forever and the van doesn't get fixed for nothing.

When client say they can get a part from Aldi/Lidl for x amount I start looking elsewhere. If the part from Aldi goes wrong they can get there money back (great) but it won't be for sale again probably till next year!

It makes me laugh inside now but working for friends in the past was not usually a good idea (you always gave free advice and tips on getting their computers working)... However some wanted to pay 'before' the job was done and other kept you waiting for payment because they had an unexpected bill come in..; like you don't have bills either?

Stick to your quote or ask them to get another quote.. see how that goes .... LOL

Reply to Pricing + acceptable rates and mark up in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hi All, Last year, whilst working for a plumbing firm, we managed our team and office with a web and mobile app. Rather than use anything off the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock