Discuss Pressure only drops when heating is on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I received a text from friend of a friend yesterday, asked me to quote to fit a 'pressure relief sensor'. I'm assuming she means a pressure relief valve.

I called her and asked how she knows its that what needs changing. She's done a search on Google she said. I thought maybe someone had been out and diagnosed.

I asked what's been happening and she said the pressure will drop when the heating is on to the point she gets up in the morning and has to repressurise. It sounds as though its been happening for a while as she said during the summer the pressure is fine.

She said there is no water running from the prv pipe outside but I've told her to tie a bag around it for the rest of the weekend and let me know if it collects any water.

It's an ecotec pro 24 she said approximately 7 years old. I'm expecting it to have never been serviced.

Without having been there I'm thinking first thing to check is the expansion vessel.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Sent quote, text back yesterday from the customer saying it seems too expensive.

Price includes diagnosing and returning to fit vessel. Her plug in clock is not working either I said I'd fit that at the same time if she wanted.

How much would you guys charge?

Vessel price was from city's. I'll add my price if I get any replies.

Didn’t read whole thread but what boiler/how many rads. Presume you want labour only? What area are you?

It's just Supply and fit ex vessel to ecotec pro. Also fit clock at same time if she wants it.

Any way I quoted £210 plus cost of clock if wanted.

That includes x2 visits. Ex vessel £140.

She can poke it.

Could get vessel cheaper than than. Inc VAT 110 from my local. Labour rate is not expensive at all. Really you need more than that per visit. Think of van payment, fuel and time to get there and to merchant to pick up materials, insurance costs, analyser/calibration costs etc. Add these all up and work out a daily amount that you need to break even and take that off, there is not much left out of 70 quid.

Could get vessel cheaper than than. Inc VAT 110 from my local. Labour rate is not expensive at all. Really you need more than that per visit. Think of van payment, fuel and time to get there and to merchant to pick up materials, insurance costs, analyser/calibration costs etc. Add these all up and work out a daily amount that you need to break even and take that off, there is not much left out of 70 quid.

100% agree.
I know the vessel was a bit pricey which did surprise me but still not a bad price overall.

I could have done it cheaper to get the job and gain a customer in the hope for future work but if I approach every customer that way I'll always work for the customers who don't want to pay the going rate. I always try and charge a fair price, I don't rip people off but then I don't aim to be the cheapest.

Reply to Pressure only drops when heating is on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back