Currently reading:
Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off

Discuss Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there - I have an issue with my pipes that I am hoping someone can advise on (even if it's just to tell me to call out a plumber!).

I can hear a knocking noise in my pipes, in particular in the area near the boiler and in the bathroom. It persists when the boiler is turned off (even when I turn it off at the wall) so I am pretty sure it's not boiler related. It only stops when I completely cut off the water supply by turning off the stopcock. But it starts up again as soon as I turn the water supply back on.

I read some advice online to turn off the water supply, empty the pipes and turn it on again - but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have also bled the radiators to no effect.

Any thoughts about other steps I can take myself before I call someone out?

In case it's relevant: house was built in the 70s and I have a Potterton combi-boiler.

Thanks

Louise

First check if there are any ball valves on toilet cisterns (or any other places ) as they can cause knocking noise.
Often simply a new washer fitted to ball valve will fix, but a modern fill valve, like Fluidmaster Pro brass tailed valve on bottom connection cisterns would work well on mains pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back