Currently reading:
How To Join Overflow Pipe To 22mm Copper?

Discuss How To Join Overflow Pipe To 22mm Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick one. I need to join some plastic overflow pipe to existing 22mm copper pipe. What are the options for joining the two together? I'm thinking maybe Speedfit/pushfit 22mm coupler, but not sure if this is correct.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes or a 22mm compression coupling with an insert

Mcalpine r1m. They're about 60p in city plumbing

F41618_wm.jpg

If you were an old mate of mine you'd get blow lamp out, warm copper tube and shuv it into overflow pipe.

Ruff as chuff but funny to watch.

Same guy used to heat up a piece of copper tube and shuv it through F + E tank cos he didn't want to pay for hole saw

If you were an old mate of mine you'd get blow lamp out, warm copper tube and shuv it into overflow pipe.

Ruff as chuff but funny to watch.

Think I'll leave that one for the experts. Have seen joints made between 40mm solvent weld with a blow lamp before, where the female end was heated and expanded to form a socket. At least the joint was made good with solvent adhesive after. Wouldn't have much confidence in a copper to plastic joint sealing too well.

Sounds like RAF plumbing. (rough as f***) :wink5:

Just a quick one. I need to join some plastic overflow pipe to existing 22mm copper pipe. What are the options for joining the two together? I'm thinking maybe Speedfit/pushfit 22mm coupler, but not sure if this is correct.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You have probably taken the advice of one of our other Members who replied before me but here is my version:

Most solvent weld overflow pipe measures about 20mm / 21mm - when I join it to Copper pipe - which I do as it exits the Roof space - I use a 22mm Compression coupling with a 3/4" Imperial olive for the plastic overflow pipe.

This makes a perfect joint.

I have come across push fit overflow pipe / old overflow pipe where the 3/4" Imperial olive would not fit without filing it slightly - but on the solvent weld overflow that I buy - Polypipe / Terrain etc. it is p perfect fit.

Chris

You have had some advice already - and Member ShaunCorbs may be describing what I use ?

I use a 22mm compression coupling with a 3/4" Imperial olive to fit the overflow pipe.

Most solvent weld overflow is about 20mm / 21mm in diameter so the 3/4" Imperial olive fits well.

If the overflow that you want to connect is slightly loose in the olive apply some LSX mastic or Polyplumb mastic [if you have any of those] or even some Hawk White or similar jointing paste.

Chris

Hello All,

I had problems posting my original message which wax a `quick reply`- when I clicked to submit it nothing seemed to be happening - I then tried posting using `Reply to thread` that did not work.

I tried again quoting the OP - that did not seem to work either - I tried `Reply to thread again and when my message was submitted it appeared 4 times !

I then tried to delete 3 of them - I could not see a way to do that using the `Edit` facility so I tried removing the text and adding a short explanation.

Because of the 5 minute Edit time window I just could not Edit all 3 of the duplicated posts.

I wanted to explain in case Members decided that I needed to be `told off` for posting these duplicate messages.

Chris

Well thats one way to get your post count up quickly CHRISX :wink:

Back before all this push fit stuff I would say the correct way was a 3/4" FI to Overflow with a 3/4" MI to Copper screwed into it with a bit of PTFE on the threads no leak conversion every time.R7_5.jpg

Oh & BTW there is nothing wrong with heating up uPVC (thermal plastics) to form joints if you understand what you are doing even on soil pipes.

Ever used a Terrain 126.4.12 Post formed socket?

Back before all this push fit stuff I would say the correct way was a 3/4" FI to Overflow with a 3/4" MI to Copper screwed into it with a bit of PTFE on the threads no leak conversion every time.View attachment 28344

Oh & BTW there is nothing wrong with heating up uPVC (thermal plastics) to form joints if you understand what you are doing even on soil pipes.

Hello Chris,

Who knows what was happening on the Forum last night !

I ended up with about 8 messages after trying to submit just my version of a connection from 22mm Copper tube to 3/4" Plastic Overflow pipe - after trying to Edit out some those `Edits` appeared as further messages !

I am from the time before `push fit` - I started my apprenticeship in 1965.

From the time when Solvent weld Overflow came in - Terrain I am fairly sure were the first manufacturer selling in the UK - all of my generation and younger Plumbers in the 1970`s used the method that I described with the 22mm compression coupling and a 3/4" imperial olive.

When tightened the 3/4" imperial olive makes a perfect watertight joint on Terrain and Polypipe Overflow pipe [probably also cheaper overflow pipe ?] - when tightened one could not pull the overflow pipe out of the coupling - I always test my Overflows - none have ever leaked when connected in that way.

I am not decrying your suggestion / method but I would not expected very many Plumbers Merchants to be stocking a Female Iron to Solvent weld or push fit overflow pipe unless they were a Terrain stockist - and even then I wonder if they would have had the demand for that fitting to actually stock it ?

A 22mm compression coupling is readily available and a 3/4" imperial olive is stocked by any Plumbers Merchant.

We all have our different ways of doing some aspects of Plumbing - a secure joint from Copper to Plastic overflow pipe via any of the suggestions here is all that matters regarding this enquiry.

Chris

P.S. I remember the Terrain Post Formed Socket [with rubber ring] / `Heat Shrink Coupling` well - although I have not used one since about 1988.

I tried posting a reply to Chris - once again nothing seems to have happened - however I will not do the same as last night and try submitting it again !

I don`t know what is occurring - all I am doing is typing a message and then trying to submit it ?

Chris

Back before all this push fit stuff I would say the correct way was a 3/4" FI to Overflow with a 3/4" MI to Copper screwed into it with a bit of PTFE on the threads no leak conversion every time.View attachment 28344

Used to have sets of spigot and socket moulds to joint different sizes of plastic together.
It was a good idea but it no doubt got made obsolete by solvent fittings.

I am going back a bit now.

Be patient. They will appear.

You're not going to the moderation queue so it's not that.

Hello croppie,

Thanks for your message - could You please help me with something regarding the display of photos attached to Members posts:

When I am signed in and reading various threads if I click onto a photo attached to a message it does not open up / enlarge the photo - my screen goes `darker` and I have to click onto the Back button to get back to a normal screen view.

If this is because I have not got Forum `permission` to view photos because I have not submitted enough posts I thought that I would have received some kind of message to that effect ?

Do You happen to know anything about what I described ?

If not have any other Members experienced this ?

Should I post this question as a separate Topic ?

Thanks for your help with this.

Chris

Shouldn`t be anything to do with permission, most likely some thing your end, is this only happening here or other sites as well?

UK PLUMBING FORUM - CANNOT VIEW PHOTOS ATTACHED TO MEMBERS MESSAGES - SCREEN GOES DARK - SCREENS.JPG
Shouldn`t be anything to do with permission, most likely some thing your end, is this only happening here or other sites as well?

THE SCREENSHOT ABOVE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO MY COMPUTER SCREEN WHEN I CLICK ONTO A PHOTO ATTACHED TO A MEMBERS MESSAGE ON THE FORUM.

Hello rpm,

Thanks for your reply - it is only on here - I use other Forums and websites where you have to click onto photos to enlarge / display them - I have only experienced what I described on here.

I will have attached a screenshot of what happens when I click onto a photo.

Chris

View attachment 28364

THE SCREENSHOT ABOVE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO MY COMPUTER SCREEN WHEN I CLICK ONTO A PHOTO ATTACHED TO A MEMBERS MESSAGE ON THE FORUM.

Hello rpm,

Thanks for your reply - it is only on here - I use other Forums and websites where you have to click onto photos to enlarge / display them - I have only experienced what I described on here.

I will have attached a screenshot of what happens when I click onto a photo.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How To Join Overflow Pipe To 22mm Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back