Discuss Have I been overcharged? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
brilliant set of posts that lead me to think that your better off paying full price for a new tank through an oftec registered technician, but I would say that :) and my prices would include a working boiler :)

brilliant set of posts that lead me to think that your better off paying full price for a new tank through an oftec registered technician, but I would say that :) and my prices would include a working boiler :)

I think a working boiler would be the minimum on offer, and work from there.

Just like a bloke round our way. He can service, supposedly, oil oilers, but he can't repair them. If he switches it on after the service and it doesn't work he has to call somebody else out :)

So the issues is, did he do 12 hours work?

The rate is reasonable for a plumber (rather than an oil technician)

What at the other guy charged to make it work is reasonable.

Presumably your father in law didn't rip you off on materials, so that's reasonable.

I would guess they took the best part of a day to drain the old tank and make the base? Say 8hrs?

If the hours don't tally just speak to him, suggest the hours you feel he was being productive for and go from there, not much anyone on here can do considering you've gone about arranging the whole job in a less than perfect way (family and work don't mix!)

I could be wrong but OFTEC isn't a requirement is it? I thought you could install yourself and notify, not 100% certain though.

Yes if you install it yourself you can pay £200 for a Building Inspector to sign it off. But the customer did not install it themselves so the plumber is acting illegally if they do not notify it. Also if it is a second hand tank, is it a single skinned tank? If so, I would be very wary.

I repeat, do NOT hand over any money until you have the CD11 certificate and the Building Control certificate. This is an absolute legal requirement and the installer has a duty to provide these and you are totally within your rights to withold payment until you have them. Without them you have an illegal installation and your insurance is potentially invalid.

Last edited:

Yes if you install it yourself you can pay £200 for a Building Inspector to sign it off. But the customer did not install it themselves so the plumber is acting illegally if they do not notify it. Also if it is a second hand tank, is it a single skinned tank? If so, I would be very wary.

I repeat, do NOT hand over any money until you have the CD11 certificate and the Building Control certificate. This is an absolute legal requirement and the installer has a duty to provide these and you are totally within your rights to with hold payment until you have them. Without them you have an illegal installation and your insurance is potentially invalid.

Could the plumber not install it himself and then pay the £200 fee then, from what I have read I thought that was the case. Still best to get an OFTEC fitter of course. In this case though it seems obvious that the plumber isn't OFTEC and hasn't paid the £200 fee.

In the same way that saying you need a Part P registered electrician to carryout certain electrical work in domestic properties isn't true.

:vanish:

Last edited:
Yes but plumber would need to submit a building notice 48hrs before work is due to commence. Then the LABC will give him a pretty hard ride . Not fun

Would end up costing more than using an OFTEC tecnhician able to self certify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Have I been overcharged? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back