Currently reading:
Gas pipe sleeve for 28mm

Discuss Gas pipe sleeve for 28mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What do you use to sleeve 28mm pipe? Years ago I used to use 1 1/4" pipe. But you shouldn't use that as it should be suitable for carrying gas?

Why push fit and not solvent weld?

From BS 6891
Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to 35 mm (R1¼) in domestic premises (2nd family gas) — Specification

8 Installation
8.10 Sleeves
Sleeves shall be of a material capable of containing gas, e.g. copper, steel, polyethylene or polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

Here's polyethylene pipe, comes in grey and white:
Wavin Osma 5w073g polyethylene pipe bs5254 40mm x 3mtr Grey

Here's PVC-U:
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/push-fit-pipe-40mm-x-3m-white/65426

PVC is Poly Vinyl Chloride
UPVC or PVC-U is Unplasticized Poly vinyl chloride.
UPVC is known as having strong resistance against chemicals, sunlight and oxidation from water.

Solvent weld waste pipe is made from ABS, which is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. There's nothing in the BS about ABS.
Not sure if answered your question, I guess ABS pipe would give us some issues in this case.

Well... Also my college teacher - ex BG has told me that push fit pipe is good to go for sleeving.

Last edited:
Thought it was supposed to be fire proof we always sleeve with copper and donky plick. Un like national grid on an undersized re run
7953f4e53d9d7c00204d51435947d387.jpg

So sleeve was 100mm at best on a 375 wall

personally I do all mine in copper or iron. If plastic is used, and some numpty goes in after, they do not know if is pvc or abs, there is no mistaking iron or copper. Obviously gets a bit expensive in the 35 or 42 mm sizes

personally I do all mine in copper or iron. If plastic is used, and some numpty goes in after, they do not know if is pvc or abs, there is no mistaking iron or copper. Obviously gets a bit expensive in the 35 or 42 mm sizes
you cant sleeve copper with iron though differential corrosion

Solvent weld pipe can be pvc or abs so unless its abs it can be used as sleve

Yes, some waste pipe is made from MuPVC, that’s Modified Unplasticised Polyvinyl Chloride. MuPVC, DOH! It doesn’t mean much to me!?
Solvent weld ABS pipe is not greasy. Polyethylene pipe is greasy, same as yellow gas mains pipe or MDPE pipe. PE stands for polyethylene.
Is PP (Polypropylene) pipe any good? Doesn’t look like it.
We should stick to copper, steel, polyethylene or polyvinyl chloride.
Or is it time to send another pigeon to GasSafe!?

The sleeve for the TracPipe® should be made of a material that is itself capable of containing gas, for example, steel, copper or polyethylene. However, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) sleeves should not be used with TracPipe® as it may cause corrosion of any exposed corrugated stainless steel tube.

So if you attend and a gas pipe has been sleeved in plastic, do you then spend time to determine if the plastic is solvent weld or push fit?

always best if the sleeve is as strong or stronger than the pipe going through it IMPO. abs should be avoided.

i wonder if waste pipe has been tested for gas permeability or whatever the term is.

Last edited:
Fibreglass or plastic sleeves are used on service pipes coming out of the ground and the back of meter housings.
Plastic coated copper with intersees are also acceptable methods of sleeving.

Last edited:
always best if the sleeve is as strong or stronger than the pipe going through it IMPO. abs should be avoided.

i wonder if waste pipe has been tested for gas permeability or whatever the term is.

So do you order copper sleeving then?? Or use the solvent waste pipe they send like the rest of us :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe sleeve for 28mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back