Currently reading:
inhibitor test strips

Discuss inhibitor test strips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

I want to start testing my customers system water during an annual service. I have a kamco tds meter which always runs out of batteries that I bought for testing water hardness. Now I just fit an inline scale reducer with every combi anyway.

But what about for the inhibitor levels. We are Worcester Gold accredited installers so I want to ensure I am doing things by the book and keeping their boilers tip top. they state the water must have a PH of less than 8. This wouldn't tell me if there is sufficient inhibitor or of the suitability of the system water would it?

I know Fernox do some expensive test kits but I think all I need are some cheap test strips? Only thing is I tend to use all different Inhibitors. Mostly F1 or X100 or cheap ones for cheaper jobs.

It would be unfeasable to carry all different kind of test strips or do you just stick to one brand of inhibitor?

Is there a universal test for checking levels of inhibitor no matter what the brand?

Would really appreciate some advice as I'm always aiming to provide the highest level of service.

If it is just a litmus test you want to do you can buy the strips quite cheap. Probably from eBay

But I'm not sure if the strips are litmus strips. They maybe looking for another chemical

After doing some more research it seems as expected that the strips are unique to their brand. I may just stick to our usual method of topping inhibitor up whenever the system is even partially drained such as when removing rads for decorating.

Inhibitor doesn't lose it's effect over time or does it? As we usually reccomend a drain down and top up of inhibitor every 3-5 years or if the system is showing signs of needing it. Especially if it is an open vented system anyway.

Just because I'm not sure if it is necessary every year for the price. I'd like to tell them when it is needed so would have to monitor the water content annually.

Too much inhibitor will cause the opposite effect and eat a heating system inside out

After doing some more research it seems as expected that the strips are unique to their brand.

Yep, I did some research on this a little while ago for a housing association that had properties with a whole range of manufacturers inhibitor in. There was no universal test that we could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to inhibitor test strips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock