Discuss Fitting an external tap at a commercial premise in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Will do but my in house maintenance manager suggests that the attached makes it Class 5 because we would be fitting a hose union tap, what do you think?
Inclined to agree with your supervisor, with some reservation. Do bear in mind that the document you show is industry guidance (i.e. the water undertakers) which can be over-ridden if the industry (in this case UU) decides. In practice, my experience with water regulation enforcement officers is they tend to be practical people with a common sense approach.

Will do but my in house maintenance manager suggests that the attached makes it Class 5 because we would be fitting a hose union tap, what do you think?
My vote is for cat 5 because, for example, someone might decide to stick the hose up a blocked drain in an attempt to clean it. A lower category might be possible but would require a proper risk assessment to justify it.

It's a very weird one actually. Because the tap itself has no backflow potential unless we already know what it is likely to be used for (which we do). Similarly, you could theoretically fit a washing machine valve with 3/4" thread without even a SCV in line (assuming the washing machine IOM states that no backflow protection is required - I always fit a SCV as I doubt any customer will ever bother to check) and then the customer could later connect a garden hose and use it to unblock the kitchen sink (cat 5).

IIRC if the hose union bib tap were internal (rather than external) to a domestic premises and perhaps used to fill a mop bucket, you could quite legally fit it without any backflow protection at all. Then, if a hose were attached, the need for a DCV arises as the hose is a new installation.

Reply to Fitting an external tap at a commercial premise in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock